Activity Stream

RSS

KHS to Dedicate Historical Marker in Shelby Park

Thursday, 03 28, 2013

Chelsea Compton
chelsea.compton@ky.gov
502-564-1792, ext. 4504

FRANKFORT, Ky. (March 28, 2013) — The Kentucky Historical Society (KHS) will dedicate a historical marker to the Shelby Park neighborhood at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 13, at 600 E. Oak St. in Louisville.

By the late 1840s, the German working class populated this area bounded by Kentucky, Preston, Bergman and Logan streets. In 1907, Mayor Paul Barth personally purchased part of the land that made up the 17-acre Shelby Park. The park was designed by the Olmsted firm and was named for Kentucky’s first governor, Isaac Shelby.

 

In 1906, neighbors each donated $2 to purchase land for a library. The Second Renaissance Revival-styled library, designed by Arthur Loomis, opened in 1911. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and is one of seven Carnegie-endowed libraries in Louisville.


The Kentucky Historical Marker Program, administered by KHS in cooperation with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, tells Kentucky’s story through the people, places and events that have shaped local communities across the Commonwealth. These markers highlight the importance of place in Kentucky’s collective history, in order to build strong communities for the future. The markers are on-the-spot history lessons that make connections between history, place and historical evidence housed in the Commonwealth’s many historical organizations. Through the program, Kentucky’s history is made accessible to the public on markers along the state’s roadways; online at
www.history.ky.gov/markers and via the Explore Kentucky History smartphone application available for free at iTunes and Google Play.

For more information, contact Becky Riddle, Kentucky Historical Marker program coordinator, at 502-564-1792, ext. 4474 or
becky.riddle@ky.gov.

 

-30-

An agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the Kentucky Historical Society, established in 1836, is committed to helping people understand, cherish and share Kentucky's history by providing connections to the past, perspective on the present and inspiration for the future. The KHS history campus includes the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, the Old State Capitol and the Kentucky Military History Museum at the State Arsenal. For more information about the Kentucky Historical Society and its programs, visit www.history.ky.gov.