Wednesday, 01 30, 2013
Contact: Buddy Rogers office: 502-607-1611 cell: 502-382-6006
Monica French office: 502-607-5721 cell: 502-229-3304
FRANKFORT, KY. (Jan. 30, 2013) - No confirmed tornadoes or widespread damage has been reported to Kentucky Emergency Management (KYEM) after last night's storms moved through the Commonwealth. Local officials have submitted reports of scattered damages, mostly due to high winds. Most reports are in western Kentucky.
The National Weather Service Offices serving Kentucky issued numerous severe weather and tornado watches in the past 18 hours, some of which remain in effect as this weather system continues eastward.
Initial reports indicate damage in the following counties:
* Calloway County - The equine barn at Murray State University was struck by lightning; visible smoke but no fire. All livestock were safely removed.
* McCracken County - Major damage to several homes in Briensburg. One mobile home was severely damaged, and a garage was moved off its foundation.
* Muhlenberg County - One mobile home was overturned. Significant tree and power line damage in the Dunmor/Rosewood area.
* Christian County - Two homes damaged in the Herndon area; two businesses damaged in the Pembroke area.
* Barren County - Unconfirmed reports of roofs in the roadways. Power lines and poles reported down in the Cave City area.
* Metcalfe County - Several trees down and roads blocked; 500 to 1,000 customers out of power.
* Marion County - A mobile home was overturned, and one person reported injured.
* McCreary County - Nearly 1,000 customers are out of power. Several trees were reported down on multiple county roads.
KYEM encourages residents with storm damage to report it to their county emergency manager. A list of all Kentucky County Emergency Managers can be found at http://kyem.ky.gov/teams/Pages/countydirectors.aspx.
Once it is safe to do so, photograph damages and save repair receipts for insurance purposes.Should you encounter a downed power line, do not approach it. Call your utility provider. While travelling, if you encounter water over a roadway, STOP, TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN! Find an alternate route.
Weather safety tips and weather alerts, can be found on the KYEM website at www.kyem.ky.gov/travelweather and at www.weather.gov <http://www.weather.gov/> , which also has regional weather forecasts. Travel conditions across the Commonwealth can be found at www.511.KY.gov <http://www.511.ky.gov/> .