Wednesday, 05 29, 2013
Media Contact: Jill Midkiff (502) 564-7042, ext. 3465 or (502) 330-1185
Gwenda Bond, (502) 564-6786, ext. 3100
Cabinet leadership will attend education sessions
FRANKFORT, Ky. (May 29, 2013) – As part of Governor Steve Beshear’s emphasis on enhanced education efforts related to Medicaid managed care, the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) has scheduled forums for health care providers in each of the eight Medicaid regions during May and June. Senior officials from CHFS will attend the session, including Cabinet Secretary Audrey Tayse Haynes, Medicaid Commissioner Lawrence Kissner, Public Health Commissioner Dr. Stephanie Mayfield Gibson and Behavioral Health Commissioner Stephen Hall.
The forums are designed to allow medical providers to meet face-to-face with representatives of the managed care organizations (MCOs) and the Department of Insurance (DOI) to discuss concerns about proper billing, appeals processes and any specific regional issues, in addition to a general conversation about how to improve the overall system of health care delivery in Kentucky. The first two sessions were held earlier this month in Morehead and Prestonsburg.
“We have enjoyed the conversations we’ve had with the health care community to this point and look forward to traveling to other areas of the state to engage our Medicaid providers,” said CHFS Secretary Haynes. “Managed care is the right approach for Kentucky, but we can continue to improve the system to make it work better for everyone involved from providers to patients.”
The sessions follow the same agenda, beginning with a 9-11:30 a.m. local time provider information general session with Cabinet officials and concluding with a 1-3:30 p.m. local time session on provider billing with the MCOs in each region. The dates and locations of the remaining forums are as follows:
• Region 5, May 30: Worsham Theater/Student Center, University of Kentucky (404 S. Limestone St., Lexington)
• Region 2, June 20: Main Lodge, Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park (20781 Pennyrile Lodge Road., Dawson Springs)
• Region 3, June 24: Kent School of Social Work, University of Louisville Shelby Campus (312 N. Whittington Pkwy., Louisville)
• Region 4, June 26: VP Henry Auditorium, Lindsey Wilson College (210 Lindsey Wilson St., Columbia)
• Region 6, June 27: Student Union Building, Northern Kentucky University (20 Kenton Drive, Highland Heights)
• Region 1, July 15: Curris Center, Murray State University (102 Curris Center, Murray)
More information on each location, including parking, is available at the Medicaid website at http://chfs.ky.gov/dms.
The Cabinet for Health and Family Services is home to most of the state's human services and health care programs, including Medicaid, the Department for Community Based Services and the Department for Public Health. CHFS is one of the largest agencies in state government, with nearly 8,000 full and part-time employees throughout the Commonwealth focused on improving the lives and health of Kentuckians.