Tuesday, 01 29, 2013
Lynn Sowards Zellen
Director of Communications
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is continuing the inaugural Civic Health Initiative, a statewide series of roundtable discussions at Kentucky’s universities and colleges to improve Kentucky’s overall civic health, with an event at Murray State University at 10:30, CST, on January 31, 2013. The Murray State roundtable is the fifth of 15 scheduled to occur around the Commonwealth.
Grimes developed the Initiative to establish new partnerships and formulate fresh strategies to reverse the trend of declining civic engagement revealed by the Civic Health Index her office released in March 2012.
“I have been overwhelmed by the response to and participation in the Initiative,” said Grimes. “These events have brought together diverse individuals, including students and leaders in government, education, business and the community, who share my belief that Kentucky is at its best when everyone is engaged and my commitment to moving Kentucky forward.”
Grimes began the tour on November 8th at Western Kentucky University, and she has since held roundtable discussions at Eastern Kentucky University, Kentucky State University, and Transylvania University. Topics discussed by the panelists and audiences have spanned all facets of citizenship and engagement, including voter registration and participation, volunteerism, community involvement and civic education.
“In addition to identifying areas in which we can increase engagement,” said Grimes, “these panels are helping us establish a network of individuals and groups who can work together to strengthen Kentucky and develop means by which to accomplish that goal.”
Following the roundtable at Murray State on January 31, Grimes plans to host events at 10 other locations:
• February 16, 11:00 a.m. EST – Northern Kentucky University (registration required)
• March 20, 10:30 a.m. EST – University of Kentucky
• March 22, 9:30 a.m. EST – University of the Cumberlands
• March 26, 11:15 a.m. EST – Centre College
• April 4, 10:30 a.m. EST – Morehead State University
• April 9, 12:15 p.m. CST – Henderson Community College
• April 11, 10:30 a.m. EST – Elizabethtown Community and Technical College
• April 18, 10:30 a.m. EST – University of Louisville
• April 24, 10:00 a.m. EST – Hazard Community College
• April 25, 11:00 a.m. EST – Pikeville College
Except as otherwise noted, all events are open to the public. For more information and to join the discussion online, visit the Secretary of State’s website at www.sos.ky.gov, follow @kysecofstate on Twitter, and like Kentucky Office of the Secretary of State on Facebook.
# # #