FRANKFORT, Ky. — Eighteen Kentucky schools will send students to arts events and performances at venues across the state after being awarded Kentucky Arts Council TranspARTation grants.
The grants provide funding to Kentucky classrooms for transportation to and from live arts events. Grants are based on the mileage from the school building to the arts organization or performance venue and the number of buses necessary.
"The arts play an important and well-documented role in the comprehensive education experience," said Lori Meadows, executive director of the arts council. "We are so glad schools across the state are taking advantage of this funding opportunity to further enrich education through the arts."
TranspARTation grants were awarded to the following schools for events that will occur from October through December:
- Calloway County Middle School, $192
- Cuba Elementary, Graves County, $656
- Cumberland County Middle School, $432
- East Calloway Elementary, Calloway County, $603.72
- East Valley Elementary, Morgan County, $2,940
- Fancy Farm Elementary, Graves County, $256
- Graves County High School, $1,440
- Leslie County High School, $528
- Lewisburg School, Logan County, $744
- Mayfield Middle School, Graves County, $336
- Menifee County High School, $656
- Model Laboratory School, Madison County, $208
- Muhlenberg South Middle School, Muhlenberg County, $173.20
- North Calloway Elementary, Calloway County, $360
- Shelby Valley High School, Pike County, $296
- South Marshall Middle School, Marshall County, $444
- Southside Elementary, Pike County, $2,256
- Wayland Alexander Elementary, Ohio County, $339.84
Any Kentucky public or private school that supports grades pre–K through 12 may apply. Grants are awarded on a quarterly basis. Applications for the next round of funding are due Dec. 1, for field trips occurring from January through June 2013.
Schools that receive TranspARTation grants must attend arts events presented by one of many pre-approved TranspARTation organizations. Schools receiving grants in this round of funding will attend events at the following venues:
- Carson Center, Paducah
- Kentucky Repertory Theater, Horse Cave
- Lexington Children's Theatre
- Jenny Wiley Theatre, Prestonsburg
- RiverPark Center, Owensboro
- Mountain Arts Center, Prestonsburg
- Explorium of Lexington
For more information about applying for a TranspARTation grant, visit the TranspARTation webpage, or contact Chris Cathers, program branch manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-833-2787, ext. 488.
The Kentucky Arts Council, the state arts agency, creates opportunities for Kentuckians to value, participate in and benefit from the arts. Kentucky Arts Council funding is provided by the Kentucky General Assembly and the National Endowment for the Arts.
- ### -