"Owl Flight" by Kathy Conroy - at the Kentucky Artisan Center
Artist Kathy Conroy of Pleasureville will be featured on KET’s program “Kentucky Life” which will air at 8:00 p.m. starting Nov. 18. Conroy is a scratchboard artist who utilizes a rarely used technique to achieve highly detailed imagery.
Scratchboard is a form of direct engraving where the artist starts with a Masonite panel coated with white clay. This clay layer is covered with a thin layer of black India ink leaving the artist a solid black panel as a starting point. Lines that create the imagery are cut and scratched through the ink, to reveal the white clay surface below. Conroy then layers colors onto the exposed white clay to illustrate complex and realistic images.
This KET program will air on the following dates:
• KET: Saturday, November 18 at 8:00 PM EST
• KETKY: Sunday, November 19 at 8:00 AM EST
• KET: Sunday, November 19 at 4:00 PM EST
• KET2: Monday, November 20 at 7:00 PM EST
• KET: Monday, November 20 at 11:30 PM EST
• KET2: Tuesday, November 21 at 7:30 AM EST
• KETKY: Wednesday, November 22 at 8:00 AM EST
• KETKY: Friday, November 24 at 12:30 PM EST
• KETKY: Saturday, November 25 at 8:30 AM EST
Conroy will also be at the Kentucky Artisan Center demonstrating her scratchboard techniques on Saturday, Dec. 9, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Her work is regularly available at the Center.
The Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea is located at 200 Artisan Way, just off Interstate 75 at Berea Exit 77. The center’s exhibits, shopping and travel information areas are open daily, year-round, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the cafe is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free. For more information about center events call 859-985-5448, go to the center’s website, or visit the center’s Facebook page.