On June 1, 1842 a new county was legally formed from part of Calloway County. This new county was named Marshall, in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall who had recently died. The 6th day of June the commissioners met at the home of Mayor James Clark, near Spout Spring. James Brien, a sworn Justice of the Peace of Calloway County, administered the oath of Justice for the new county to John P. McElrath, Joseph Station, William Rice, Enos Faughn, Joel Gilbert, James Stice, Absolome Smith and Robert Elliott, thereby ending a five year struggle for the division of Calloway County. The residents of Marshall County then began to get on with the business of the county, choosing a site for the County Seat. After all the discussion, dissention, and dissatisfaction on the part of many, the site of the new county seat was chosen. Land was donated by John Bearden and Francis Clayton and the town was platted by Marcus Barnett. It was named Benton in honor of Senator Thomas H. Benton of Missouri.