FRANKFORT, Ky. — The Kentucky Arts Council has awarded grants to 10 Kentucky schools to pay for transportation to and from arts-related field trips for students through the popular TranspARTation Grant.

The TranspARTation Grant is awarded quarterly by the arts council. The program is now in its third year. Grants are based on the mileage from the school building to the arts organization or performance venue and the number of buses necessary.

"The TranspARTation Grant facilitates opportunities for Kentucky schools to provide meaningful live arts experiences for their students," said Lori Meadows, arts council executive director. "The arts council is proud to support educators and school districts in Kentucky by helping to make these trips possible."

Schools that received grants and the arts organizations they will visit are:

  • East Calloway Elementary, Calloway County, to the Carson Center in Paducah, $816
  • W. D. Osborne Elementary, Floyd County, to Lexington Children’s Theatre, $800
  • Sedalia Elementary, Graves County, to the Carson Center in Paducah, $144
  • Helmwood Heights Elementary, Hardin County, to Stage One Family Theatre in Louisville, $1,224
  • Our Lady of the Mountains Elementary, Johnson County, to Lexington Children’s Theatre and the Explorium, $460
  • Mount Sterling Elementary, Montgomery County, to Lexington Children’s Theatre, $468
  • Centerfield Elementary, Oldham County, to Stage One Family Theatre, $264
  • Southside Elementary, Pike County, to Jenny Wiley Theatre at the University of Pikeville, $400
  • Bowen Elementary, Powell County, to Lexington Children’s Theatre, $196
  • Southern Elementary, Scott County, to Lexington Philharmonic, $132

Any Kentucky public or private school that supports grades pre-K through 12 may apply for a TranspARTation Grant. Applications for the next round of funding are due Dec. 1, 2013, for field trips occurring from Jan. 1-June 30, 2014.

Schools that receive TranspARTation grants must attend arts events presented by one of many preapproved TranspARTation organizations.

For more information about applying for a TranspARTation grant, visit the TranspARTation webpage, or contact Jean St. John, arts council arts education director, at jean.stjohn@ky.gov or 888-833-2787, ext. 486.

The Kentucky Arts Council, the state arts agency, creates opportunities for Kentuckians to value, participate in and benefit from the arts. Kentucky Arts Council funding is provided by the Kentucky General Assembly and the National Endowment for the Arts.

- ### -

Follow us! View us! Join the conversation!



About & Help


Kentucky Unbridled Spirit Logo

© 2015 Commonwealth of Kentucky. All rights reserved.


Back to Top